Friday, March 21, 2008

The Valley of Dry Bones and the DMV

Rev. Este Gardner Cantor
Church of Our Saviour Mill Valley
Easter Vigil Reflection, March 22, 2008


Just this past week I found myself wandering in my own version of the Valley of the Dry Bones. In this valley, with was actually a long and slow-moving line at the Department of Motor Vehicles, an Old Testament miracle began to unfold. Suddenly the dry bones in front of me began to quicken and move and all at one I surged forward and found myself in the Promised Land- right at the front counter. I smiled into the face of a very beautiful and very large woman with an enormous tattoo on her left bicep. She smiled back and bent to her work, preparing the form I was to fill out. As she did I tried to discreetly read the tattoo, but her sleeve was partly in the way. It said something about “My Girl” in a beautiful and flowery script, and then underneath it read “1952 to 2004.”

“It looks like you lost someone,” I said to her.

“Yes, I lost my mama. I got this tattoo to remember her by. She was just skin and bones when I decided to have it done, and you won’t believe this, but she said she wanted one too. When my niece went to get one last year she about had a fit, but here she was coming with me. So we went into the tattoo parlor and she said, 'I’ll go first in case it hurts.' And she got a tattoo about me.

After she died I always used to hug this tattoo (she wrapped her arms around herself, her hand cupping the tattoo) when I missed her. I still do.”

Misty (that was her name) had experienced the valley of dry bones. Those bones had told her there was no hope. Those bones had made her feel that she was cut off completely. But Misty had transformed those dry bones. She prophesied on her own skin in indelible prose and she breathed spirit into those bones. She had created something that had not only sinew but gloriously abundant flesh. And not only skin that amply covered those bones, but images of fruits and roses in juicy abundance. She created a garden out of desolation. Misty breathed life and spirit into into those dry bones and they lived. .

It is not likely that Misty was familiar with the poet Rumi, but her story and the story of the valley of the dry bones made me think of a poem of his:

Inside each of us there is continual autumn.
Our leaves fall and are blown out over the water. A crow sits on the blackened limbs and talks about what is gone.

Then generosity returns: spring, moisture, intelligence, the scent of hyacinth and rose….
There’s a necessary dying and then Jesus is breathes

Very little grows on jagged rock. Be ground. Be crumbled so wildflowers will come up where you are.

You’ve been stony for too many years. Try something different. Try surrender.

Amen.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is an interesting and imaginative sermon you gave, and I was at Church to hear you give your sincere words. I was also taken with the fact you spent time to minister to someone, a stranger.

I wonder, were you wearing your collar when you spoke to the clerk at California's Department of Motor Vehicles, after waiting in line?

This is one of the memorable readings from Easter Vigil. One thing that attending Easter Vigil each year does, and this year's was excellent, is how comforting the vigil can be--the words of dry bones comforting, too. I wanted to add this as a note that I was in the pews so you would know how good the service was this year.

Wonderful sermon! Enjoyed it very much!
--Peter Menkin